Translate

10 March 2015

#20: The Stories That Bind Us - A Life Story Interview

1. Discuss weather or not you agree with the premise(s) in "The Stories That Bind Us" .Give details to your reasoning. 
  - In the article "The Stories That Bind Us", the main premise was that "The ones who know their families tend to do better when they face challenges." "The ones" are referring to children and just people in general. I think I agree with this statement, but I'm not entirely sure. I know people that, they dont know much about their family, they dont know who there parents are or where their grandparents come from, and they are strong, smart, independent , and reliable people. I also know people that live in their family's pocket and know almost everything about every one and they are very family-oriented , loving, dependent, reliable people. I think that, for some people, knowing who they are and where their family came from can really affect them. Some people take it as, 'If i dont know squat about my family than they dont care about me and i dont matter and I'm worthless.' other people can take it as 'I might not know my family, but I will make sure my kids will know me and that I will pass down all my wisdom to those that need it. Every person reacts to things differently , I dont know if all these doctors can predict how everyone can/will turn out. 
(i felt that this represented family)

2. Life Story Interview 
The questions I asked:
1. What characteristics do you remember most about your grandparents 
2. What are some of the best and worst things about your parents
3. What was growing up in your home or neighborhood like
4. Was religion important to you as a child
5. Were you encouraged to try new things or did you feel held back
6. What was the most trouble you were ever in as a teenager
7. What accomplishments in school are you most proud of 
8. What did you learn about yourself during these years (teen)
9. What is important to you in your work
10. What do you hope to pass on to your grandchildren


(me and my grandma: excuse the stuff on my face, please)

3. Discuss the things of important that you learned from your relative while conducting your interview. Try to detail at least 3 or 3 questions that you asked that led you to this realization.
-I interviewed my 53 year old grandmother, named Sara Miranda. Although she isn't the oldest person in my family, she is the oldest person that I am comfortable with and I feel that this activity needs comfortableness and trust to flow. When I asked my grandmother question one she said, " Hardworking, honest, humble, very giving, and loving". I then asked her how she thinks that affected her growing up and she said, "I think I'm the same way, I'm honest, I'm hardworking , and I'm very generous, and they were very generous as well." When I asked my grandma question eight she responded ," I wanted to be someone strong and I always wanted to get an education because I felt it was the only way out of the barrio, out of the misery we were living in.". Then when I asked  my grandma question ten she told me ,"My goodness, get a college degree , be independent, have a decent job, buy your own house, wether you have a family or not have you own place. get a decent job, you can get up and go and eat anywhere you want, you can go and travel, you can go to any store and buy anything you want. Thats very important to me because I didn't have that growing up. I only had one pair of shoes. When I got home I would put them under the bed and be bare footed the rest of the day para no sé me rompieran. Life lessons, be motivated, always aim high, don't settle for whatever. Be generous with others


in need. Thats very important and thats something I would like for my kids and grandkids to learn. My kids are pretty well off but they're not very humble, huh? They're kinda stuck up, I don't like that." What I realized through out the interview was that my grandma has a small, set, list of core values. The answers to the questions above showed me that she really values humbleness, success, generosity, hardwork, high expectations, independence, and love. Thats something I never would have know with out this activity. My grandmas is a great persona and this just makes me all the more appreciative to have her in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment