(Overall, I really enjoyed watching Big Fish even if it was a little confusing in the beginning.)
I would expect people with lower scores to show a bigger disconnection from their families compared to people with higher scores. If someone really enjoyed and talked to their members of the family, this test would be a breeze and they'd score a high score. Sometimes there are children that might feel neglected in their families. They would probably be the ones with the lower scores. But then again, people might talk to their parents on a daily basis having conversations about their days and still not know about a simple thing like the source of their name. In the end, I believe it would differ from person to person.
I don't think these indicators should be used to predict things like self-esteem and anxiety issues. I don't feel as if the questions and someone's mental problems have any correlation with each other. Sure these questions might come in handy when measuring for other things, but not when it comes to ones personal problems. In my opinion, I don't feel like these indicators should even be measured in the first place. It doesn't really say much about the person taking the quiz.
I don't think Edward Bloom was a neglectful father. In my opinion, William Bloom was the one that tuned into a neglectful son. Edward Bloom did his part in trying to be a good father to William, and for some time, William was happy. It wasn't until William got older that he started hating his dad's stories. He got to an age where just stopped believing his father, which later caused him to grow anger towards him. This anger that William Bloom grew towards his father made it that much harder to accept his dad for who he was and all his stories. Never in the movie did I feel that Edward Bloom neglected his son. The frustration William had of never knowing the exact truth eventually got to him and made them both drift apart but Edward Bloom wasn't to blame for that. He was only trying to create this legacy for himself with fun-filled life adventures. He enjoyed sharing his stories and stretching the truth.
One big theme that I got out of this film was that kindness and generosity really help people strive. Edward Bloom spent most of his life helping others and never asked for anything in return. For example, he helped Karl get a job at the circus. Anywhere else, Karl would've felt like an outsider but he helped him find a place where he was accepted. Even when the town assigned Edward Bloom to kick Karl out of the town, he tried helping the town see the good in him. Another example would be when Edward helped Ping and Jing escape Korea. There were many things in the film that Edward Bloom did and only brought positive things out of them. He even made it his mission to reconstruct Spectre after he realized what a depressing place it had become. In life, it doesn't hurt anyone to be kind and so nice things for each other. If everyone did this, life itself would be so much easier and pleasant.
(The town Spectre seemed way too artificial to me.. kind of creepy.)
There was a time in my life when I believed that my grandpa had created my bellybutton from continuously poking my stomach. I was about 3 years old and it went on up until I was about 6. I genuinely believed that my grandpa had made a hole in my stomach from poking it so much and saying "aww look at the cute baby!" Of course now I look back and laugh at how gullible I was but then again I was just a little kid. I wouldn't say this situation affected my life but it sure did make me realize how easy it is to imagine certain things.


No comments:
Post a Comment